Wednesday, February 11, 2009

My Granny

Can you imagine being born 100 years ago? It's hard to fathom how it must feel to have lived that long, and the things a person would see during that life.





My grandmother Betty was born February 11, 1909. She turned 100 years old today! I think what amazes me the most (and there are lots of things), is that she is able to recall events that happened very early in her life, when I have trouble remembering what happened yesterday. The woman is in incredible health for being 100. I can only think of one time in the past four years that she has been sick, and even then it was a cold that knocked her out for awhile. She has macular degeneration and doesn't see well, and hears well out of just one of her ears, but WOW! She is an amazing woman. She moved into an assisted living center just one year ago. Up until then she had been in her house for more than 70 years! When she married my grandfather, it was the Great Depression and he was already living with his parents. They moved into their house, along with grandparents, and all lived there for quite some time. My mom grew up in that house and it was the place we always stayed when we came to Tulsa for trips and holidays. I have great memories of playing with the old dolls, Barbies, games, jewelry, and all the other "what-nots" my sister and I could find.


Another thing that amazes me about my grandmother is how long she has lived without her mate. I never knew my grandfather....he died when my mom was in junior high. She never remarried, never moved out of the house they started their lives together in.




Her faith in God is something I admire greatly about her. She still has her sense of humor. She adores her three great-granddaughters.




So on this day, one hundred years later, my mom, husband, 3 girls, and myself had the honor of helping her celebrate. A simple dinner at home, a small cake, and one amazing lady.




Happy Birthday Grandma!

2 comments:

  1. What an amazing lady! Great stories about her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Thanks for sharing. So I have to ask...is the house still in the family? In Tulsa, right?

    ReplyDelete


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones